Sunday, May 29, 2016

A Sunday in Solitude

I drove out to Locust Valley today to give my 91-year-old grandmother another Facebook/Internet lesson. After our visit, I headed over to St. Josephat's monasterythe former John Aldred estatewhere I grew up (I lived in a gatehouse on the estate grounds until I was 14, for those not in the know from all of my previous boastful posts). I brought along my new Nikon camera and my cool new Tamron 70-300mm zoom lens and went to town.

I think I did OK for my first time out with a real DSLRembarrassing considering I've been interviewing photographers for 20-plus years, but I've been busy!  

One thing I've learned from all of the talented photogs I've talked to over the years is that it's important that a photo (or a series of photos) tells a story. What struck me most during this particular monastery visit is how, because the Ukrainian monks don't have the funds for proper upkeep, the estate has fallen into a state of disrepair and disarray. The grass is overgrown; buildings are abandoned; trees lie where they've fallen, knocked down by lightning or nor'easters or felled by rot. I felt overcome with melancholy and sadness strolling on the grounds this time around, knowing that this lovely place where I grew up will probably never return to its former State of Sublime

But even in decay, there's beauty, so enjoyphoto tips/comments welcome. Cool links here and here for more info/pics of the estate.

Like the Hotel California: You can check into Peacock Lane, but you can never leave.

Sneaking a peek at the long-abandoned cook's cottage.



Esssssss-curve.


I swear I barely touched the levels in post-processing. The greens were very green.
Outside the library.
I actually desaturated everything in this photo a bit because the greenery was so green that it distracted from the colors of the monument.


Just hangin' with mah growler.


Not great colors here, so went B&W.

Ye olde sundial, catchin' some rays.


Entrance to garden designed by Olmsted Brothers.

I call this felled tree the "Iron Throne."

R2-D2 gazebo, still standing.





Peek-a-boo.

The "Graffiti Tree"—there's even vandalism at monasteries.



I liked the pattern on this tree.


Leading up to the main house.





Beware, all ye who enter.

My old crib.

Overlooking the Sound down the road, with the four remaining columns of the Meudon estate in the midground.





All that's left of the Meudon ruins.

Tweets and treats at @jenngidman. 


No comments:

Post a Comment