Sunday, April 28, 2013

Spring Has Sprung, That Bastard



I met up with a confederacy of co-workers (not a single one of them dunces) for happy hour in Hell's Kitchen last week. We were shooting our collective shit at some Yelp-recommended watering hole, quaffing our way through a nifty craft-beer menu and dissecting everything from social media metrics to the inherent charm of Harrisburg, Pennsylvania, when the conversation turned to how glad everyone was that spring had arrived. Naturally, because I can be a bit of a social misfit — and because I had already consumed two Ommegangs, which is usually the point at which I start to say things that make others say "Omme-god!" — I blurted out, "I hate spring!"

There are many things I am (this is the part where you keep your thoughts to yourself and keep reading), but "spring-lover" is not one of them. I'm nocturnal, maternal, I keep a journal, I'm just not ... vernal.

OK, I don't really HATE spring, because:
It's just that, comparatively speaking, spring is really quite meh.

This is the part where I explain my equinox enmity in great detail. In a VERY particular descending order (because approaching spring is akin to a long, slow, tortured descent into Hades), here are my official rankings of the seasons from best to worst:

AUTUMN
SUMMER
WINTER
SPRING

"Dang, you should've at least stylized SPRING in all green," you're thinking. "Have some fucking RESPECT. Seasons have feelings, too!"

Like it's that easy. As I ponder these things and rely on my visceral reactions to guide my seasonal favoritism, it's instantly apparent that my most intense memories emerge from the first three only.

Autumn is the easy favorite. There's the brilliant foliage, the bonfire-conducive temperatures, the distinctive bouquet of wood-burning fireplaces, the caramel apples, the fall seafood festivals here on the Island (tell me you've never filled a plastic soda bottle with multicolored sand while devouring fresh littlenecks and local wine — TELL ME!), the lead-up to Halloween and Thanksgiving (more eating, please!).

Summer is an oh-so-close second. Because summer means the beach. That's about it, because that's all you need. Well, there are also the barbecues and daytrips to Fire Island and catching fireflies and s'mores and fireworks and even the got-damn cicadas, the sound of which lulls me to sleep better than my fancy sound machine.

Most people don't get my third-place ranking of winter, because winter is The Horrible. After that first really pretty snowfall we get here on the Island, resulting in Facebook feeds more saturated with overexcited posts about precipitation than they should be, most of us are done. All that snow represents to our transportation-dependent region are crappy LIE commutes, delayed LIRR trains (though these also regularly take place when it rains, hails, and the sun shines), and stunning illustrations of how town highway offices still don't have their shit together after at least a century of dealing with this stuff. But, despite these truths, I love the extremes that winter brings. The high-key photo opps, the beauty of an icicle in the sunlight, the desolate beachfront after a new snow, the way our cheeks feel after coming in from a day of sledding, a red cardinal juxtaposed against a blanket of white, the eerie way that every sound cuts through a winter day's silence.

And then ... there's spring. Spring doesn't bust its way in with a blizzard or a heat wave: It simply la-dee-das into existence, like the docile ungulate it is. I mean, what kind of milquetoast are you if you have a Death Cab for Cutie song named after you? (the song isn't technically about spring, but go with me. I need this).

Here's a better way of illustrating this: Today (meaning yesterday, because I'm writing this at 2 a.m. on Sunday), on this fine spring day, I cleaned up the shit in my yard. I donned my workgloves and picked up brush and dead leaves and deflated swimming pools  and leftover plastic Easter eggs minus their candy spoils and other mostly nonidentifiable debris forced between the fence posts from Hurricane Sandy. I then wandered the aisles of Home Depot, eyeing a Japanese maple or two that I'm going to attempt to plant tomorrow (meaning today) in my latest home-improvement fever dream.

This is my routine every spring. As soon as the ecological and astronomical reckoning begins, I'm inspired to renew, rejuvenate, resurrect. This phenomenon usually involves me impulsively planting things that eventually die, or similar gardening/landscaping projects that turn into spectacular fails, because they aren't designed for impatient impulsivity. I've spent hours exuberantly raking red decorative rocks over flower beds, only to realize I never put the weed-retardant tarp down first. I've unsuccessfully tried to transplant hostas. I've rooted ornamental shrubbery shaped like pom-poms and birthday cakes and within weeks watched them morph into unruly, uncontrollable beast-bushes, because I have no clue how to wield a hedge-trimmer (though I've tried that, too, to mixed results). I've wasted countless hours and cash attempting to replicate the professional-looking curb appeal generated by my apparently handier neighbors, who hide their green thumbs in Smith and Hawken workgloves, not Target-brand workgloves (because you KNOW that's the root of my dilemma).

Yet, as the Earth starts tilting toward the sun, so does my brain's equilibrium — everything suddenly seems unbalanced yet exciting, unpredictable yet hopeful. Despite my previous failures, I'm impregnated with irrepressible optimism. I find myself once more swathed in sunlight, digging in the dirt after four or five months of brooding and digging in the dirt in a metaphorical sense. I'm once more marveling at unearthed ant colonies, listening to my feathered friends (yo, my peeps!) setting up shop after their long Southern sojourn. I start fiercely absorbing and assimilating all of the season's amenities into my stubborn double helixes so I cease being the cranky shut-in I've transformed into during that long, third-place winter. I'm suddenly fixing things. Feeling good about life. Trying again.

Ah. I see what you just did there. You're the worst, Spring. But that personified, initial-capped shout-out signifies my newfound respect. You're not half-bad after all.

If you want more of me on Twitter, @WarriorHauswife is where you should go.

3 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Fall
    Spring
    Winter
    Summer
    That's my most to least favorite season listing, especially since a)leaving teaching, and any hope for more than 5 min. or so of vacation, and b)Misguidedly moving away from the E. Coast/any body of water with SALT!! (Lakes, rivers, brooks, streams... are such wannabees!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Now, how can you be from the Island and rank summer last?! ;)

      Delete