Saturday, June 22, 2013

Overheard



INT. LIVING ROOM — EARLY EVENING

Boy, 8, maniacally plays "LEGO Indiana Jones 2" on the Xbox. Girl, 6, languishes next to him on the reclining leather sofa. They are siblings.

BOY
Do you have a boyfriend yet?

GIRL
I don't know.

There is a pause. The jingle of recently acquired LEGO coins emanates from the flat-screen TV.

GIRL (warily)
Do you have a girlfriend?

BOY (smugly)
I have two.

GIRL
Oh.
Another pause.

GIRL (wistfully)
I was in love, but he didn't know I loved him.

BOY
Oh. Sorry.

GIRL
It's OK. I don't love him anymore. But I think he still loves me ...

BOY
Look, I just got more coins!

GIRL
... and now someone else loves me because of him.

BOY
Do you love the new guy?

GIRL
No.

Long pause.
GIRL
If you tell Mom or Dad, I'll kill you.

BOY
Why the hell would I tell them anything?

If you want more of me on Twitter, @WarriorHauswife is where you should go.

1 comment:

  1. Hilarious and sweet. I still follow the advice in the last line.

    ReplyDelete