Friday, August 14, 2015

Running Through My CD Collection: Day 6



Today's album: Ayeshteni (Natacha Atlas) 

Length: 59 minutes

Activity: Stretching

What listening to this album made me think of: The girl I worked with who gave it to me after she heard me listening to the English Patient soundtrack and the Peter Gabriel Passion album and figured I would enjoy this. I politely accepted it and meant to listen to it at some point, but I think it just unintentionally ended up in the back of the CD book.

It also reminds me of the Spike Lee movie Inside Man with Denzel Washington, which had a very cool Bollywood-style song during the opening credits called "Chaiya Chaiya," except that was much better than this.

Review: A cover of "I Put a Spell on You" on here made me want to die. You can't beat Screamin' Jay on this one. Actually, the whole thing made me want to die. I'm tired and want to go to sleep and don't want to listen to anymore. Which bums me out, because I thought I'd really dig this. I do think her name is pretty rad, though. And I sort of liked "Mish Fadilak."

How I felt after: Cultured? Nah.

Random fact I learned about this artist/album: Natacha was born in Belgium but is of Egyptian ancestry and likes to sing most of her songs in Arabic. She also collaborated with Belinda Carlisle on an album.

Why I'm doing this: See Day 1.


Tweets and treats at @jenngidman.

No comments:

Post a Comment