Friday, July 23, 2010

Day 59: Better Than Mescaline


Dave Gahan walking around Switzerland in a king's get-up is bizarre enough. Now try watching "The Powerpuff Girls" at the same time you're watching a Depeche Mode video.

In a bizarre turn of events, I ended up running tonight listening to Depeche Mode (I needed to be in an electronica frame of mind) while staring at an episode of "The Powerpuff Girls" on the big screen. That was Jackson's cartoon of choice, and he happened to be watching it in the family room, where my treadmill resides. It's totally hallucinogenic keeping rhythm to "Enjoy the Silence" (one of my all-time favorite songs) while Blossom, Bubbles, and Buttercup, three kindergarten-aged superheroes, kick butt in Townsville, USA.

This surreal experience brought me back to my adolescent years, when my dad was too cheap to spring for basic cable and the MTV I desperately craved, back when MTV actually played music videos. So, instead, I'd either hold out till 11:30 on Friday nights (when NBC would play "Friday Night Videos," the poor-man's version of music-video programming) or hook myself up to my Sony Walkman and channel-surf, pretending the music piping through my headphones was accompanying whatever images were flashing across the screen. Yes, I actually did this.

No comments:

Post a Comment